Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pumpkins, and pine cones, and sweatshirts, Oh My!

The angels are singing, the football fanatics are chest bumping, and my dried up, brown lawn is rejoicing...fall is so close we can taste it! Here are just a FEW things I loooooove about fall:
1) I no longer sweat through my blouses before I get in the car.
2) I will eat anything with pumpkin and cinnamon in it.
3) The fact that I gave up on my lawn and flowers two months ago will no longer matter because everyone's yard will soon be brown now too.
4) Sweatshirts and Uggs...need I say more???
5) It gives me a new reason to go clothes shopping for both me and my fashionable sidekick, Lola Jean.
6) Its ok at this point to start thinking/talking about Christmas, in my opinion anyways.
7) I am a sucker for seasonal decor.
8) Time to save some major coins on our electric bill, can I get an AMEN!?
9) I can play outside without being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
10) My husband listening to "Here Come the Mummies" seems a little less peculiar this time of year. Never heard of them? They are a fantastic group of musicians that are, well, mummies. check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETHvSTT6PA8
I will not bore you any longer with my list, because, trust me, I can go on for days. I think you get the idea. One thing that always made the fall fun for me as a child was my Mom pulling out our Halloween decorations and burning spice scented candles. We always had bales of straw, corn stalks, pumpkins, mums, and a friendly scarecrow on our front porch. As an adult, I now want to recreate those feelings in my own home, but there is just one obstacle in my way: By the time I get my Halloween stuff out, the 31st has come and gone, i like to START putting out my Christmas decor mid November (it takes me a while...I have alot of trees. Back off.) So how do I get the most out of my fall decor for the short amount of time its on display and on a budget as well? As with the staples in my home decor collection, I have found that less is more and subtle hints at a theme go a long way. Here are some ideas for fall decorating that I simply adore:
Take candles or apothecary jars that stay on display all year long and change out the fillers seasonally. Acorns, nuts in the shells, pine cones and dried beans have nice colors and textures for the fall.  deckthehalls-christmas.blogspot.com
I love old canning jars; these make great candle holders. http://iowagirleats.com/
My planters are always empty this time of year (usually because I have neglected to water my flowers for the whole month of August) and this is a perfect way to utilize them for a fall display. Uncarved pumpkins will get you though the month of November because they aren't specific to Halloween. If you have a covered porch, you can purchase the fake pumpkins in all shapes colors and sizes and reuse them every year. Cha-ching! For some extra pizzaz, highlight the pumpkins with a metallic sheen paint like the ones pictured here. prettyinpinkandorangetoo.blogspot.com
Sometimes the simplest things can be a beautiful focal point. If you prefer a minimalistic or modern approach to seasonal decor, this might be a good option for you. These leaves can be swapped out with other items for the winter, spring and summer months. images.search.yahoo.com
Another spin on the topiary look. This is a more sophisticated spin on pumpkin carving. I don't know about you, but this is one carved pumpkin that I would not feel tacky leaving out after Halloween. Again, the artificial pumpkins can be carved and lit with a string of Christmas lights on the inside. www.rachelsnest.com
If you are lucky enough to have a porch large enough to accommodate a vintage cart this size, then I am so super jealous. If you are like me, and have neither a porch or a cool cart, then at least check out the pumpkins. Another fun way to accessorize your gourds without carving them. =) And it will last you through the whole fall! farleykids.blogspot.com
If UT orange ain't your thang, don't fret! Pumpkins and gourds come in a wide variety of colors. I prefer the more muted shades of cream, pale orange, and grey-green. www.apartmenttherapy.com
Jazz up sad pumpkins with fun patterns like polka dots. Or use metallic paints to add luster. beautifulthingstoshare.blogspot.com
Dried gourds = years of illuminated enjoyment! To see a tutorial on how to create your own gourd luminaries, check out Martha Stewart's site www.marthastewart.com She's a clever lady!
Ok, there were just too many amazing wreath ideas to pick from. Here is a pretty one I found on Pinterest. Check out their site for loads of ideas on how to make beautiful and budget friendly wreaths. This particular wreath came from www.thenester.com

No comments: