Saturday, July 23, 2011

Hooray for Houses!!!

Hello, Home Enthusiasts! My name is Laura Williams and I love houses.  Almost sounds like I am introducing myself at a support group meeting, doesn't it? In a way, that is how I view this blog. I admit, I do have an addiction to houses. I am fascinated with them. Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones. They are all unique representations of the people who dwell there- like beautiful fingerprints! 

Isn't it amazing how much you can learn about a person just by walking through their front door? Homes are like 3 dimensional works of art- every photograph, chair, and knickknack tell a story and evoke a feeling. Floor plans may be the same, but no two homes are ever alike! There is always a project underway at the Williams' house. I love how our home is always evolving to reflect the ever changing lives that we have. 

Sigh...sounds so dreamy, doesn't it??? I think it's every homeowner's goal to make their home feel personal, comfortable, and uniquely their own. Then why is it that we "oooo" and "ahhhh" over model homes, often holding our own homes up to such rigorous standards of organization, airiness, and super trendy design? The ugly truth is we need more for everyday living. So cruel! More personalization, more clutter, more furniture, more familiarity. A well-seasoned, lived in home is like a fine oil painting. It is a labor of love, it is cherished, it is full of life. A model home is more like an unfinished paint by numbers canvas. The framework for something amazing is there. It's structured enough so that we can visualize ourselves living there, but it is generic enough to allow a vast majority of people to also visualize themselves there. (And I guarantee you that no two people have identical visions for their ideal home) 

So now we find ourselves in a pickle- how do we maximize the space we currently have, making it special and tailored to our taste, when we have this nagging little voice in the back of our heads always whispering, "think about the resale value..." There has to be a balance! If I find the mystical solution to this conundrum I will surely let you know. In the mean time, I hope to share with you my own personal struggles and triumphs as I search for balance within my own home.

No comments: